Skip to main content

Generous & sensual on the palate with rich, luscious fruit

Beautifully perfumed with notes of blueberries, classic Malbec mulberry, red cherries & cedar with subtle cocoa

Perfect alongside the BBQ or served chilled with beef fajitas or big-flavoured salads

Q Malbec 2019 (Australia)

Member rating / 4
$15.99p/Btl
Elsewhere $19.99 $17.38
6 Btls, $95.94 6 Btls, $83.43
Awarded Gold Medal
Q Malbec 2019 (Australia)

Q Malbec 2019 (Australia)

Member rating / 4
Malbec was always the underdog until it found a home in Argentina (becoming popular from the late 1990s onwards) and more recently, in Australia...
$15.99p/Btl
Elsewhere $19.99 $17.38
6 Btls, $95.94 6 Btls, $83.43

Accolades

Awarded Gold Medal

Catavinum World Wine & Spirit Competition Spain 2020

Description

  • American oak
  • Classic mulberry
  • Cedar & cocoa
  • Gentle tannins

A bright and intense red with purple hues in the glass. Aromas of the classic Malbec mulberry, red cherries and notes of cedar are balanced with soft cocoa and wafts of violets. At first, this Malbec is intense, juicy and super youthful before moving into a generous and sensual midpalate filled with lashings of fresh fruit. The after-palate is flavoursome and rich showing Damson plum atop of rolling red fruits and blueberry pie. The finish is lush and mouth filling with a glycerol sweetness balanced by gentle tannins and a soft fresh acidity. With careful cellaring, this wine will drink well now until 2025.

All three components that made the final blend where all machine harvested and keep separate at a different winery and in its different region. Primary fermentation takes place in a combination of stainless-steel vats and 20 tonne open fermenters over a period of 7 to 10 days. Once dry on skins, the grapes are pressed out and centro to individual tanks and kept full until a natural malo-lactic fermentation is completed. The individual components are tasted, and a blend is determined. Once blended, 20% of the wine will go into barrels for 8 months. The barrels used are all 2-year-old American Hogsheads. The remaining 80% of the blend stays in full stainless-steel tanks which has premium French oak staves in it. After 8 months, the 2 components are blended together, cold stabilised and filtered ready for bottling. This results in a wine with purity of fruit that is unpretentious and eminently satisfying to allow for regular indulgence.

Malbec was always the underdog until it found a home in Argentina (becoming popular from the late 1990s onwards) and more recently, in Australia. In fact, in French the name of this thin-skinned, dark-purple grape is derived from the term mal bouche, meaning ’bad mouth’, which suggests what the old French winemakers thought of it.

Food Pairing: Along with barbecues, Malbec's team a treat with bold summery dishes. As they're by no means shrinking violets in the flavour department, a chilled bottle will go beautifully with beef fajitas or big-flavoured salads.

Seal

Screw Cap

Payment

Alcohol

14%

Delivery

NZ (from $5.70)

Member Rating

4.5 Stars

Share with a friend

User comments (2)

Add comment
J
Very smooth

Janette - 01/10/2020

S
This is now one of my favorite reds, very easy to drink. My friends think so as well. Excellent value for money. Have ordered another 2 cases.

Sue - 28/06/2020


Welcome

to New Zealand’s #1 online wine community

Leave site
Your browser is out-of-date!
Update your browser to view this website correctly.
Update my browser now